Sunday 13 March 2016

The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4) by Chris Mooney

The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)

Read from July 26th - August 4th 2015.

Published October 1st 2010 by Penguin Books

Format    Paperback - 468 pages

ReviewCharlie Rizzo has his family at gunpoint and when Darby arrives to defuse the scene, she finds him horrifically mutilated, with a mask of human skin sewn in place over his own face. Within minutes, a group of men disguised as SWAT officers bursts in and releases deadly Sarin gas. But where has Rizzo been held all these years?'

I'm so freaked, its untrue! In all my yrs of book reading, I have never felt a book connect with me so deep that it's left me with such detailed visions and heightened emotions before. Definitely NOT for the faint hearted that's for sure.
I've watched countless horrors/thrillers on t.v and rarely experience this.I know it is in the little box and the visuals are someone else's imagination.A book stirs your own and it did just that, but even just before bed, I couldn't put it down.The Soul Collectors presents as a very easy page turner with each chapter leaving me dangling on a thread willing me to turn the page wanting more.

I have not read any Chris Mooney before. This being my first and looking at others reviews,I may have felt differently about this one had I read 1-3 first.
I speak as I find.I loved it.It isn't a deep book and at times felt like it had been written by a high school grade in the early yrs but that didn't overwhelm the book, it was the odd page here and there.I chose to read this book due to the ease as it fitted in to my more intense study that I was completing along side.I probably enjoyed this book more than I should have.
What I did find odd and frustrating was the ending.It was pretty abrupt, like Chris Mooney, didn't know what to do with it, was in a rush and cut it dead as quick as he could.It left a lot of loose ends for me and an incomplete feeling.This did not ruin the main part of the book, it just disappointed me and felt like I'd been short changed.I looked back to see if I had missed a page or two but I hadn't.There is a little waffle in places, even unrealistic at times but it also had non stop action throughout and keeping everything in proportion made this book a good quick read. A fabulous quick read that tugged at me emotions.
This book is a dark thriller and quite disturbing in parts and I definitely wouldn't advise you to read it by bedside lamplight in the dead of night before sleeping.

4 out of 5 stars for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment