Sunday 13 March 2016

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Read from November 27th - 29th 2015.

Published 2013 by Headline

Format    Hardcover - 248 pages


ReviewHow many times can I say "I really really loved this book" in this review space?
It deserves all the I LOVED ITS going. I rated it 4.5 stars and it should have got a 5 star rating.The only thing that put a halt on that for me was the ending which I just felt in the last few pages lacked the powerfulness and grip that the rest of the book gave and so I considered it let the rest down just a tiny little bit.
The book is full of magic, fantasy and fun and fear mixed into one, cleverly entwining reality, dreams and nightmares into a few gripping pages.It is crammed with it.Crammed with Neil Gaiman's 'out there' imagination.
I finished it very quickly as I couldn't stop smiling and turning the pages.I really don't know how I managed to go to work the next morning.
I loved and connected with all the characters and really wanted to support and protect the main protagonist.Neil engages the reader so very well into the lives of each character.
A beautifully written book for adults about childhood, although I believe some 'mature' minded young adults would enjoy it too.
Be aware, parts of the story borders on a dark reality in a fantasy world but is so nicely done.
As I was reading it, I could sense a little of Terry Pratchett and a little of Alice in Wonderland too.A much enjoyed book that I recommend to anyone that likes something a bit off the beaten track glittered with magic and fantasy.

4 out of 5 stars given.

No comments:

Post a Comment