Monday 21 March 2016

Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles #1) by Carol Goodman

Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)

Read from May 3rd - 12th 2015.

Published July 21st 2011 by Ebury Press

Format    Paperback - 466 pages

ReviewI came upon this book when I was looking into buying one of Deborah Harkness, All Souls Trilogy on Amazon.Up it came in the other readers enjoyed this/if you like that you will like this section.I thought, give it a go and purchased all three of the Fairwick chronicles over time.I don't do lovey dovey Mills and Boons/Twilight style teen romance books.I just don't want to read about teens or adults kissing and smooching-boring! However, I love magic, fantasy, witches, folklore and other worldly stories and this advertised just that and as with Deborah Harkness All Souls Trilogy that I was buying when I came across Carol Goodman's Incubus, I don't mind some intimacy as long as it is kept relevant and doesn't overtake the whole story.This book leant more to the urban fantasy market.The intimacy parts,integral to the plot wasn't the keystone of the whole book which infact had many key points.

Carol Goodman has written under the pseudonym Juliet Dark before but writes this under her real name.I do not know what her other books under Juliet Dark are like so can only assume they must be very different to use an alternative name as some authors do when they change style.I feel Carol succeeds beautifully with this book.She creates vivid imagery throughout this story and includes lots of attention to detail which introduces you to many endearing characters and mythical creatures.

I found, this book although very much an adult read, was written in a very YA style, being an easy, light read.

Callie McFey (Dr),arrives at Fairwick for an interview at the local college to teach folklore. Callie is also a writer. After some thinking time she decides to take on the post at detriment to her dream of teaching in New York and making a life with her boyfriend Paul.She comes across an old Victorian house that backs onto inviting woods whilst in Fairwick. The house is for sale and is called Honeysuckle House.Callie purchases Honeysuckle House that seems to suck her into it's charms before she even seals the deal.Soon she is visited by a presence that seems to be made of shadow and moonlight. This shadow has powers, powers that do not feel healthy but she can not reject it and it feels so right.How can something so wrong feel so right.
Callie soon comes to realise that there is a lot more going on in Fairwick than meets the eye.

If I am to pick any negative points, it would be that some pages (very few) seemed to waffle in places it need not.I found myself scanning over these sections and maybe in one or two places, the intimacy was just too much and began to bore, to be in the book.

I very much enjoyed reading this book with its gothic, myth and folklore imagery. I was very surprised that I enjoyed it so much with all the intimacy in it's pages.

I am looking forward to the next story in the chronicles, that is called Water Witch.

5 out of 5 stars given to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment