Friday 18 March 2016

The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight #1) by Melissa Grey

The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)

Read From November 1st - 16th 2014

Published April 28th 2015 by ATOM

Format    Paperback - 361 pages


ReviewBeneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she’s ever known.
Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she’s fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it’s time to act.
Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it’s how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.
But some jobs aren’t as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.

I couldn't have described this book any better than the above description already written for it.
I absolutely loved it.This is not to say my feelings were as strong straight from the beginning.It took about ten chapters for me to get into it and the story to get going if I'm honest but after that 'POW', amazing, kept me engrossed and the unique setting of the city and the races involved clearly in my head.
Melissa Grey uses a lot of detail in this book to set the scene but the chapters are short so you do not feel overwhelmed by all that detail.
This book (once past chapter ten) was quite fast paced with a collection of humorous and interesting characters.
I found my feelings towards all the characters developing and getting stronger throughout.
The characters are a group that you just would never put together.This made the moral of this story nice and strong that love and friendship can conquer all and change the future even in the height of war.
As the book neared the end, I felt a smile each time I turned a page.This smile strengthened into the conclusion and almost bought me a happy tear.
I hate to compare but if you liked Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor, you will definitely like this as they are very similar.
I can not wait to read book two now.

No comments:

Post a Comment