Monday 21 March 2016

The Bat (Harry Hole #1) by Jo Nesbø, Don Bartlett (Translator)

The Bat (Harry Hole, #1)

Read from August 6th to 18th 2015.

Published October 9th 2012 by Random House Canada

Format    Paperback - 369 pages

ReviewI've used the blurb already written for the book here - 'Before Harry took on the neo-Nazi gangs of Oslo, before he met Rakel, before The Snowman tried to take everything he held dear, he went to Australia. Harry Hole is sent to Sydney to investigate the murder of Inger Holter, a young Norwegian girl, who was working in a bar. Initially sidelined as an outsider, Harry becomes central to the Australian police investigation when they start to notice a number of unsolved rape and murder cases around the country. The victims were usually young blondes. Inger had a number of admirers, each with his own share of secrets, but there is no obvious suspect, and the pattern of the other crimes seems impossible to crack. Then a circus performer is brutally murdered followed by yet another young woman. Harry is in a race against time to stop highly intelligent killer, who is bent on total destruction.'

What can I say, I was really looking forward to reading this book, the first Harry Hole novel but if I'm honest it was rather dull as murder/thrillers go. It was just like reading a contract or insurance papers. In places it came across a little far fetched but that is the best thing about books, they can be what ever the author wants it to be.

When a Norwegian national is murdered in Australia, detective Harry Hole is sent over from Norway to assist in the investigation. Harry is a flawed detective but conscientious too. He has his personal demons to tackle whilst working this case and they do rise and bite him later in the novel.

Although this is the first Harry Hole novel, it is the last one to be translated into English.

The plot throughout is solid enough and easy to follow but didn't show any of that nail biting angst you expect from a murder plot. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it but I must admit I cut out chunks in the end and still kept up with it.What I did like was that the killers identity was not who I expected to be at all.That was a well hidden surprise.I did find it's language quite wooden in places.Maybe some text does not translate very well.Considering it was written in modern times, there were small moments that felt uncomfortable with the stereotypes and colloquialisms.

I kept with it as I did feel I needed to turn the page and see what was coming next.
I have been advised that the rest of the Harry Hole novels do get better and I do have another to read so fingers crossed it doesn't come across with The Bat's dullness.

Overall, an enjoyable book with an unexpected outcome, a rushed ending and lacked spark that you expect from this genre but I would definitely try more of them.

3 out of 5 stars given.

No comments:

Post a Comment