Monday 17 July 2017

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

29844228

Read from May 16th 2017 - May 23rd 2017.

Published June 14th 2011 by Razorbill.

Format    Paperback - 288 pages.

Synopsis -Taken from Goodreads - You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.
Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.
Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.
All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .
. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.


Review - This is one of those rare time's when I think the series was many times better than the book and I think I would have said that even if I'd watched the series after reading the book.

I felt the book lacked the depth it needed for the subject matter.The characters all came across very bland.Actually, no, they all seemed to show similar emotion throughout.It didn't change.Reminded me of when I started reading as a youngster and the teacher said to put some emotion and expression in your read.It isn't the the the the all in one monotone.

This is a Young Adult book which didn't go into as much depth or detail as a book targetted for adults but still, it was very flat.I really can't understand the banning of this book in some places as I can't see where it would give youngsters idea's or thoughts and for a youngster to get that from it, I believe there has to be some underlying issue there anyway to get to that extreme.
Another issue I had with the book is the format with Hannah's tapes in italics and Clay's world in standard type.It flitted between the two quite often.Not being very well defined, I had to read parts twice to realise I'd read Clays story as Hannah and vice versa.When you are getting into your book reading trance, you don't want to have to be concentrating too hard on whose line it is.

However, I did enjoy the book.Very different layout to the series.Even lacking the emotion, it was an inviting read.It didn't blow me away unlike the series so if you are expecting it to be like that with all the hype surrounding it, I think you need to re-think it before you read but it was an enjoyable read, if I can say that.

3 stars given.

No comments:

Post a Comment