Thursday 13 July 2017

The Hypnotist (Joona Linna #1) by Lars Kepler

10851710

Read from June 12th 2017 - June 24th 2017.

Published July 5th 2011 by McClelland & Stewart.

Format    Hardback - 503 pages.

Review    Tumba, Sweden. A triple homicide, all of the victims from the same family, captivates Detective Inspector Joona Linna, who demands to investigate the grisly murders -- against the wishes of the national police. The killer is at large, and it appears that the elder sister of the family escaped the carnage; it seems only a matter of time until she, too, is murdered. But where can Linna begin? The only surviving witness is an intended victim -- the boy whose mother, father, and little sister were killed before his eyes. Whoever committed the crimes intended for this boy to die: he has suffered more than one hundred knife wounds and Lapsed into a state of shock. He's in no condition to be questioned. Desperate for information, Linna sees one mode of recourse: hypnotism. He enlists Dr. Erik Maria Bark to mesmerize the boy, hoping to discover the killer through his eyes. It's the sort of work that Bark had sworn he would never do again-ethically dubious and psychically scarring. When he breaks his promise and hypnotizes the victim, a long and terrifying chain of events begins to unfurl.


My thoughts I always try to write my reviews without adding in any spoilers. I don't believe there is any included here.

The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler, had sat on my shelf for a while. One of those 'I really want to read that' and then passing by it when the moment comes ones.

The first thing that stood out for me once I did start page turning of this brick of a book was the great translation conversion from Swedish to English. I have read one or two Swedish to English converted books before and they just haven't worked.Maybe that was one of the things that stopped me from picking it up to read, but I was pleasantly surprised and so, read on.

There was no waffle in this book.

Very punchy and entertaining throughout.

I do find when I read books, I read with no connection to characters.Maybe it is me at the moment but I loved the characters in this book absolutely and they all pulled me into the story in some way.

I was there.There in Eriks office, his landing when Benjamin was kidnapped. I really felt like it was happening around me and I was actually in the rooms but obviously invisible to the characters. No book has ever done that to me before.

I struggled to put this book down.One of those 'unputadownable' books as I call them.

Some books you would say are more directed at female buyers or male buyers.Although I don't believe any of that personally.I am reviewing this book for you guys not me,so my thoughts on this one is that is comes across very unisex.It is full of dark crime without all the blood thirsty violence that we are used to reading or seems quite on trend right now, but this still packs the same punch as those kind of books.

I found that as a reader, quarter of the way in you start being drip fed twists that totally send you off on a different track from what you thought was right and then get led down so many roads.

I personally liked how each chapter is dated so you can imagine it in real time and it helped when it was flowing from ten years ago to the stories happening in present day.

With the different scenario's and characters running along side, the author managers to keep the flow running extremely well.

By the end of the chapter I was chomping at the bit and moved to the edge of the chair.

It also left me feeling finished and fulfilled at the end with a smile on my face.

I feel it definitely goes down as a favourite book and a new favourite author to follow.


I gave this one 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment