Monday 17 July 2017

Immortalis by G.M. Sherwin

34867038

Read from May 24th 2017 - May 27th 2017.

Published May 26th 2017 by Sherwin Publications.

Format    Kindle -  pages.

Synopsis - Taken from Goodreads - On the last planet to be colonized by humans, astrophysicist Ash Palmer will set in motion events that will change the history and future for the human race.
Still trying to come to terms with a horrific tragedy he sets out to finish his father’s life’s work
There are others who are interested in Palmers work that will stop at nothing, no matter what the cost to prevent an ancient prophecy becoming a reality.
In his search, Palmer encounters a stranger who will turn his world upside down with revelations about his own origins and that of one other whose fates are linked.
What he discovers will lead him into darkness and the battle for his very soul will begin…


My Review -  Gary Sherwin's first published book and I get to read and review it. Won at a book party, the first thing that attracted me was the cover, a bit of an attention grabber, I must say and what a lovely colour. This was going to be amazing and so I tucked into it pretty quickly.
Not knowing anything about the book, being a first, I had no expectations apart from knowing it was a horror. It soon transpired that it was a Sci Fi ultimately. That's fine too as I do like some Sci Fi.
The story took off right from the start and the chapters were short so as I turned the page (sounds better than swiped) I wanted to carry on with the next page straight away. There is an immense amount of characters that flit about back and forth that I did get a little confused who was who and felt somewhat overwhelmed at times. Maybe I should have had a notebook beside me? Still, on I went and was enjoying it very much. The story developing, I was ah - ing and oo - ing every so often.
I did find it jumped in rather quickly and developed at fast speed. It charged along like commentator at the Grand National and it wasn't going to slow down for me!
I would have liked it to have moved at a slower pace and watch the characters lives evolve to where the story was going for the reader. I don't feel I knew how or why or what had happened and although I was piecing it together as I was going along, it would have been better with more of a run up, a history. I didn't feel there was anything within the characters that I could connect to. With more given, the connection may have been there.
Three quarters of the way in and take note, this was all over two-three days, I got to the 'horror' part.Very, very mild and not particularly scary. Any of you that like Sci Fi but are not horror fans, give it a go, you will be fine, trust me......or not! Haha.
All in all, a very good debut book and I gave it 3 and half stars for a first book, the content and plot. There is a few small errors along the way which Gary appreciated me telling him about. Naughty proof reader missed them but it didn't deter from the story at all.
I would be very interested to see how the writing and story develops in books two and three.

3.5 stars given.

No comments:

Post a Comment