Sunday 1 May 2016

The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse

The Taxidermist's Daughter

Read from March 26th - April 5th 2016.

Published September 11th 2014 by Orion

Format    Hardback - 409 pages

Review    I don't like repeating the story blurb in my reviews so here is the
 synopsis from the cover - 

Sussex, 1912. In a churchyard, villagers gather on the night when the ghosts of those who will die in the coming year are thought to be seen. Here, where the estuary leads out to the sea, superstitions still hold sway.
Standing alone is the taxidermist's daughter. At 17, Constantia Gifford lives with her father in a decaying house: it is all that is left of Gifford's once world-famous museum of taxidermy. The stuffed animals that used to grace every parlour are out of fashion, leaving Gifford a disgraced and bitter man.
The bell begins to toll and all eyes are fixed on the church. No one sees the gloved hand pick up a flint. As the last notes fade into the dark, a woman lies dead.
While the village braces itself against rising waters and the highest tide of the season, Connie struggles to discover who is responsible, but finds herself under suspicion. Is Constantia who she seems - is she the victim of circumstances or are more sinister forces at work? And what is the secret that lies at the heart of Gifford House, hidden among the bell jars of her father's workshop?

My thoughts    Atmospheric, Gothic psychological thriller that allured me into it's dark pages from the get go. My first introduction to a Kate Mosse book has enticed me to read her other works. I really enjoyed the writing style. It flowed very comfortably with an almost warming feel. The imagery and descriptive text were totally captivating. A strong introduction,opening at midnight on 24th April 1912 in the graveyard of the local church, where people believe that the ghosts of those who will die in the coming year will walk into the church. Commencing the first chapter with a scene in the graveyard was exciting, a fabulous angle to enthral any reader. I disliked having to put it down. The taxidermy procedures and techniques were described in depth showing the research that must have gone into putting the chapters together. Some of the characters are quite complex and I found I had feelings towards them all, including a fondness to the alcoholic Gifford. Gifford and his daughter Connie live in a remote building known as Blackthorn house that appears to be watched. Ten years before, criminal activity took place which involved the main character Connie (now 22 years old), then 12, having an accident and ending up with amnesia, but is dimly aware through flashbacks that something consequential happened. I was surprised throughout this book. It kept time with me and unfolded as I read. I personally think this would make a really good film.

I gave this one 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment